Most of fashion week consists of running to and from shows, ogling over gorgeous designs, and critiquing the validity of [insert semi-well known designer here]'s collection. If we're going to be honest, it's a total tease. Yes, editors get a first look at next season's designs so that we can start planning shoots and features (hence the initial purpose of the week-long event), but one can't actually shop the collection—which is painful if you see something you fall in love with. Luckily, though, there are now fast-fashion brands to help you recreate the look, stat. Plus, plenty of the styles are simple re-workings of classic wardrobe staples that you might already own.
Click through the gallery to see five of our favorite trends. Then, re-imagine them using your own closet (and our suggestions). It's a win-win.
Swipe to page through gallery.
Click arrows or click & drag to page through gallery.
The trend: Gothic—as in really gothic.
Thom Brown's macabre show was much more 1910s than 1990s.
This is no crushed velvet and runny eyeliner, this is nearly Victorian, with lots of lush layers, a la Nicholas K.
Of course, Alexander Wang let everyone get a little bit metal, with greasy hair and blazers that were anything but fancy.
1. ASOS, Fine etched arrow body harness, $27.51, available at Asos. 2. Modcloth, The thrill of Victorian top, $44.99, available at Modcloth. 3. Candela, Black Annabelle dress, $495, available at Bonadrag. 4. H&M, Leather shirt dress, $299, available at hm.com. 5. Vince Camuto, Wila boot, $79.99, available at Designs By Stephene.
The trend: Über-Fringe
J. Crew really knows how to make its more flashy items, like this sparkly fringe skirt, wearable.
Sally Lapointe showed off looks that were more ladylike than bohemian.
Zimmermann's maxes up the fringe for this maxi.
1. A.L.C. Fringe-Trim Silk Wrap Skirt, $295.00, available at Saks Fifth Avenue. 2. Proenza Schouler Fringe Houndstooth Skirt, $2350.00, available at LUISVIAROMA. 3. Candela, Aubrie Fringe Skirt, $398.00, available at Free People.4. J.O.A. Chevron Fringe Skirt, $61.60, available at Shopbop.
The trend: Fuzzies!
It's like fur, but not made of animal, and totally snuggly. Jonathan Simkhai's incredible collection was perfectly cozy and wearable.
This Adeam coat is nice and puffy, but has some great structure at the shoulders.
Leave it to native New Yorker Diane Von Furstenberg to find a totally sleek way to look toasty.
1. Unreal Fur, Unreal Dream faux fur coat, $121.50, available at The Outnet. 2. Target, Women’s Limited Edition Fur Infinity Scarf, $16.08, available at Target.com. Story of Lola, faux fur coat with color block arm detail, $155.91, available at ASOS. 4. Shrimps, Kitten leopard-print faux fur mini skirt, $400, available at Net-A-Porter. 5. Boohoo, Darlene Mongolian faux fur gilet, $52, available at Boohoo.com.
The Trend: Construction Orange
Pure, bright orange was weaved throughout the slate and navy colors of Prabal Gurung's collection to add a bright pop of color.
Honor always manages to create ensembles that are both gorgeous and cool.
Layered under an evening dress, this bright orange high neck sweater both dressed down and made a statement at Thakoon.
1. ASOS, Pencil dress with kimono wrap, $73.37, available at ASOS. 2. Fossil, Preston leather small flap crossbody, $168, available at Macys. 3. Nordstrom, Women’s daisy clear orange mirrored acetate sunglasses, $49.97, available at Nordstrom Rack. 4. BCBG, Remmie cross-neck cutout top, $198, available at Neiman Marcus. 5. J.Crew, Zip pencil skirt, $110, available at J.Crew.
The Trend: '70s Jumpsuits
Zimmerman crafted their entire collection based on '60s interior designs and '70s shapes.
As always, Cushnie Et Ochs brought a strong feminine energy to their designs with slits and strong lines.
When it comes to simple, flattering designs, print and color is always important. Diane Von Furstenberg taught us that.
1. Reformation, Veruschka jumpsuit, $258, available at The Reformation. 2. Boohoo, Skye metallic wide leg jumpsuit, $8, available at Boohoo. 3. Lauren Ralph Lauren, striped v-neck belted jumpsuit, $165, available at Lord & Taylor. 4. Forever 21, V-neck halter jumpsuit, $27.90, available at Forever 21.