10 things to know about the amas
from cat-kinis to two-toned hair, there was a lot going on.
1. The Cat-Kini: Miley Cyrus is just being Meowly, guys. She performed "Wrecking Ball" in a Markus Lupfer cat-print bikini, complete with matching shoes, Alexis Bittar lucite jewelry, and--duh--a cat projection that lip synced the song with her.
2. The Revelation That Justin Timberlake Might Be Taylor Swift: If we hadn't seen them making the same surprised face next to each other, we'd think they were the same person. You know, because they each took home a stockpile of awards.
3. The TLC Performance You've Been Waiting For: White pants and crop tops never looked so good.
4. The Time Nelly Sang "Ride Wit Me": 2000 was a good year, guys. At least we got to relive some of that in 2013 without the embarassment of rapping all the words to "Ride Wit Me" in front of our friends' parents at their Bar Mitzvah.
5. The Time Katy Perry Wore Flats: Or are they Prada socks? How will we ever know?
6. The Moment Rihanna Got an Award From Her Mom: Rihanna is known for keeping mum on her personal life, but seeing her receive an award from her mom was truly heartwarming.
7. The Justin Timberlake Takeover: Is there anything Justin Timberlake can't do? Probably not. He took home awards for Favorite Male Pop/Rock Artist, Favorite Male Soul and R&B Artist, and Best Soul and R&B Album and performed his new song "Drink You Away" from behind a guitar.
8. The Lady Gaga R-Kelly Duo That Will Make You Feel Weird: If you've seen Trapped in the Closet, you probably expected an elaborate dinner theater-style drama routine, but you probably didn't expect the odd, and badly timed JFK and Marilyn subtext.
9. The Two-Toned Hair We Love: We're talking about Kesha's half-blue half-pink dye job that is like the hair version of cotton candy.
10. The Moment We Knew That Christina Aguilera is Still The Best: Forget the shenanigans, Christina Aguilera and Great Big World performed "Say Something" with just a piano and it was awesome. Xtina forever.
Miley Cyrus Performs "Wrecking Ball"
TLC and Lil'Mama Perform "Waterfalls"
Katy Perry Performs "Unconditionally"
Rihanna Receives the Icon Award from Her Mom
Justin Timberlake Performs "Drink You Away"
Lady Gaga and R. Kelly Perform "Do What U Want"
Kesha and Pitbull Perform "Timber"
Christina Aguilera and Great Big World Perform "Say Something"