We bet there are some of you who want to be a zef queen just like Die Antwoord's Yolandi Visser. Sporting everything from extraterrestrial inspiration to beyond-the-grave blacked-out eyes and an elven, pre-adolescent look, she's the perfect blend of everything creepy, adorable, and vulgar. Who else can rock all those styles and make it perfectly, aesthetically immaculate? Not only are we in love with the glammed-up British chav look that Yolandi embodies, the rest of the world is too (um, anyone remember when Die Antwoord fronted the T by Alexander Wang Spring 2012 campaign?).
If you want to channel Yolandi, we can't help you in the blunt-bangs-and-bleach department (that's between you and your hairdresser), but we've rounded up the best clothing for you to begin your journey into becoming a zef icon. According to her, "It's associated with people who soup their cars up and rock gold and shit. Zef is, you're poor but you're fancy. You're poor but you're sexy, you've got style."
Yolandi style tips:
1. Leggings are great. Metallic leggings are better.
2. Exaggerate shapes. Make your shirts short crops, and wear your sweatshirts and hoodies at least one size too big.
3. Hi-top sneakers? Check.
4. Go grunge with '90s influence, especially in the watch department (get some Casios and stack them)!
5. Crass and vulgar sayings all the way. If there's an option to sport one, do it. Get cheeky!
6. If it's not black, white, or gold, go bright or pastel. Bubblegum pinks, pale blues, and bold, sunshine yellow are all in order.
7. If it is black or white, consider bold graphics and statement iconography.
8. When is it not appropriate to wear a onesie?