The Nylon Girl's Guide To Prom Dressing
It's your night to shine
Prom season is upon us, and you know what that means. It’s time to start planning that perfect look for your final high school dance.
However, prom dress shopping can prove to be a big task—all that coordinating with accessories (and ensuring you don’t have the same dress as someone else) can be tiring. Still, it shouldn’t have to be frustrating. To make sure it's not, we put together six different looks to ensure you're dressed to the nines for your big night (and look fab in all of those photos). Whether you’re trying to be a little witchy, a little punk, or are feeling a more classic look, we promise, there's something for you.
Besides, there are much more important things you should be worrying about when prepping for the night (for example, where everyone is going to for the after-party). It’s your night to shine, whether you take home the Prom Queen crown or not.
Click through the gallery below to check out our picks.
Our take on the classic look for prom—feminine and sophisticated with some hints of sparkle.
1. Aqua, V-Neck Illusion Lace Inset Gown, $238, available at Bloomingdale's; 2. Loeffler Randall, Arielle Ankle Wrap Sandal, $325, available at Loeffler Randall; 3. Nastygal, Spark Up Glitter Clutch, $38, available at Nastygal; 4. Forever 21, Faux Gem Vine Necklace, $9.90, available at Forever 21.
A flowing maxi dress and some fringe make for the ultimate laid-back, bohemian prom look.
1. Mara Hoffman, Embroidered Slit Front Dress, $462, available at Mara Hoffman; 2. Sole Society, Isla Fringe Sandal, $89.95, available at Sole Society; 3. B Brian Atwood, Layla Geometric Leather Minaudiere, $198, available at Lord & Taylor; 4. Modern Citizen, White Marble Collar Necklace, $45, available at Modern Citizen.
The following pieces will have you spellbound at this year’s prom. Rule One: wear black.
1. Nightcap, Caletto Maxi Dress, $495, available at Revolve; 2. Rebecca Minkoff, Rosalie Heel, $168, available at Rebecca Minkoff; 3. Charles & Keith, Textured Mini Clutch, $59, available at Charles & Keith; 4. Pamela Love, Mini Pentagram Cuff, $285, available at Pamela Love.
Nothing is classier for prom than paying homage to the past. We’re loving these retro-inspired pieces.
1. ModCloth, To Have And To Haute Dress in ‘Blush,’ $300, available at ModCloth; 2. Zara, Leather Ballerinas With Heel, $59.90, available at Zara; 3. Moyna, Vintage Glamour Clutch, $230, available at Moyna; 4. Jennifer Behr, Delicate Laurel Leaf Bandeaux, $298, available at Jennifer Behr.
How to look like a total badass at your prom this year? Accessorize with a studded choker and some seriously chunky platforms.
1. Topshop, Plisse Slip Dress, $65, available at Topshop; 2. Nelly Bernal, Meek Platform Heel, $110, available at NYLONshop; 3. Skinnydip, Leopard Clutch Bag, $60, available at Skinnydip; 4. Joomi Lim, Double Neck Cuff With Two Large Spheres, $150, available at NYLONshop.
The Jumpsuit: The Updated Prom Dress
If Lady Gaga can wear a jumpsuit to the Oscars, then you can wear one to prom. Stick to a mostly minimal palette to keep the look modern and clean.
1. BCBG, Lori Open-Back High-Low Jumpsuit, $298, available at BCBG; 2. Stuart Weitzman, The Legwrap Sandal, $498, available at Stuart Weitzman; 3. Aldo, Avenger Clutch, $40, available at Aldo; 4. Iosselliani, Multicolor Cluster Clip Earrings, $257, available at Bona Drag.