Coachella is just days away, which means we can officially say that festival season is upon us. With many of us gearing up to head to the desert (or wherever our festival of choice may bring us), we ask ourselves that oh-so-daunting question: What the hell are we going to wear?
Luckily, there's plenty of options available because, in recent years, festival fashion has grown to become a beast of its own; now, trend after trend (all-over fringe! metallic flash tattoos! chokers!) completely flood our favorite shops and our social feeds each year.
And that's all well and good, but what if you're the kind of person who doesn't want to wear those kinds of things? Fear not—we’re here to guide you. We don’t all have to channel that desert-boho look. To ease your packing dilemma, we curated six totally different looks that steer clear of anything bohemian and are perfect for an outdoor festival. Whether you’re feeling athleisure or looking to channel your inner unicorn, we’ve got you covered.
Check ‘em out, below.
Forget the boho trend, this season is all about carefree, romantic femininity—and a lot of frills. Pair a ruffled top with a ruffled bottom (keeping one piece on the subtle side to avoid being too overpowering). Bonus points if you throw a pair of ruffled slides into the mix.
1. Le Fou Wilfred, Chantille T-Shirt, $68, available at Aritzia; 2. See By Chloe, Ruffled Hem Crepe Shorts, $218, available at Matches Fashion; 3. Mignonne Gavigan, Double Pom Pom Drop Earrings, $195, available at Mignonne Gavigan; 4. Furla, Metropolis Crossbody, $378, available at Furla; 5. Loeffler Randall, Slide Sandal, $325, available at Loeffler Randall.
Whether you’re attending this year’s beach festivals or heading to the desert, we’re all for incorporating some tropical influences into our sartorial choices (so what if you’re nowhere near the ocean?). Give your look a retro-beachy feel by opting for a two-piece printed set, paired with a pair of cat-eye sunnies and a pineapple purse.
1. Cult Gaia, Dorothy Bow Back Top, $118, available at Cult Gaia; 2. Crap Eyewear, The Wild Gift, $60, available at Crap Eyewear; 3. Cult Gaia, Dorothy Capri Pant, $128, available at Cult Gaia; 4. Zara, Pineapple Bucket Bag, $49.90, available at Zara; 5. The Palatines, Texo Sandal, $340, available at The Palatines.
Athleisure can totally work as festival-wear, not least because it can keep you cool in the hot, hot heat. Opt for lace-up leggings and some killer sunnies to keep things interesting—and more party-appropriate than gym-ready.
1. Nike, Indy Cooling Bra, $50, available at Nike; 2. Nike, Classic Cortez Leather in 'White/White,' $70, available at Nike; 3. Fenty X Puma, Boxing And Bomber Lacing Tights, $140, available at Puma; 4. Le Specs, The Last Lolita, $119, available at Le Specs; 5. LZL, Gym Sack, $315, available at LZL.
While a peasant-style dress may typically seem bohemian, it can be totally transformed with the right accessories. Feeling witchy? Pick an ethereal, breezy frock that’s on the darker side and pair it with modern statement accessories (evil eyes and moons, of course)—and voila! Way more The Craft than boho.
1. H&M, Chiffon Dress, $29.99, available at H&M; 2. Karen Walker, Disco Circus, $199.40, available at Karen Walker; 3. Entropy, Stellar Hoops, $85, available at RitualRitual; 4. E8 by Miista, Salome Cream Black Sandals, $90, available at NYLONshop; 5. Nike, Metallic Hairbands, $15, available at Nike; 6. The Common Knowledge, Mini Prism, $210, available at The Common Knowledge.
Outdoor festivals always run the risk of getting rained out, so it’s always best to be prepared for the worst. Thankfully, rain gear is actually cute now. Let your inner unicorn run free in a holographic anorak, and keep your precious phone safe in a rubberized bag. Obviously rainboots are a must, but remember to stick to black because: mud.
1. Tibi, Sculpted Poplin Short Sleeve Top, $345, available at Tibi; 2. H&M, Short High Waist Shorts, $19.99, available at H&M; 3. Hunter, Original Rubberized Leather Phone Pouch, $100, available at Hunter; 4. New Look, White Metallic Shimmer Anorak, $43, available at New Look; 5. Jeffrey Campbell, El Nino Rain Boot, $55, available at Urban Outfitters.