We consider the first day back to school a fresh start—not only to kick off the next year of your education but also as an opportunity to reinvent your personal style. While many of us spend hours (or days) planning the perfect outfit for the big day, accessories are just as important. And by accessories, we mean everything under the sun: all the way from your backpack down to the pencil you'll be holding and the notebook you’re going to write in.
In preparation for the big day, we rounded up everything you’ll need for your first day back while keeping your style vibe in mind. From the season's best backpacks and bags to some of the coolest and most unique school supplies (unicorn tape dispenser, anyone?) and tech ever, we put together the ultimate back-to-school shopping guide to keep your style consistent, beyond your first day.
Click through the gallery below to read on.
The minimalist is all about clean lines, organization, and an aptitude for geometry. Complement your sleek backpack with linear notebooks and school supplies, and, of course, a nude, matte lip.
1. Kikkerland, White Slim Bottle, $20, available at Kikkerland; 2. Cool Material, Word Notebooks (3 Pack), $9.99, available at Cool Material; 3. ASOS, Leather Boxy Backpack, $89, available at ASOS; 4. Mighty Paper Shop, Candy Colored Ruler, $4.01, available at Etsy; 5. Poketo, Paper Clips Set, $12, available at Poketo; 6. Craft Design Technology, Box Of Pencils, $6, available at Need Supply Co.; 7. Make Up For Ever Artist Route Mat in ‘M101 Caramel Beige,’ $22, available at Make Up For Ever; 8. IAMMAI Clover, Ori-Tsuru Tape Dispenser, $20, available at Etsy.
Pink, proper, and personalized are the signature trademarks of a true prepster. Pick out a bag you can monogram (like this satchel from Cambridge Satchel Co.) and keep some trusty, sweet-smelling lip balm handy in case of any locker-side liplock.
1. Anthropologie, Rose-Handled Scissors, $20, available at Anthropologie; 2. Paper Source, Vanilla Bean Stapler, $14.95, available at Paper Source; 3. Cambridge Satchel Co., The Barrel Backpack, $235, available at Cambridge Satchel Co.; 4. Kari Herer. Captured Flora Pen Set, $22, available at Anthropologie; 5. Kate Spade, Initial Tumbler, $18, available at Kate Spade; 6. Urban Outfitters, Oh Snap Leather Journal, $24, available at Urban Outfitters; 7. Paper Source, Gold Heart Paper Clips, $3.95, available at Paper Source; 8. Lano, Lips 101 Ointment Strawberry Multi-Balm, $13.50, available at Ulta.
The Book Witch
Spellbinding accessories and school supplies—as well as a solid liquid eyeliner—are all a student witch needs to bring to class. Naturally, don’t forget to carry around your trusty fluorite to help enhance your ability to learn and focus and promote overall calming vibes.
1. Kenzo, Black Nylon Eye Backpack, $360, available at Ssense; 2. Valfre, Bruno USB Drive, $24, available at Urban Outfitters; 3. Paper Source, Cavallini Celestial Pencil Tin, $13, available at Paper Source; 4. Urban Decay, Perversion Waterproof Fine-Point Eye Pen, $22, available at Sephora; 5. Redbubble, Ouija Board iPhone Case, $25.83, available at Redbubble; 6. Advisory Board Crystals, Fluorite, $30, available at Advisory Board Crystals; 7. Hauswitch, Moon Phase Notebook, $16, available at Hauswitch; 8. S’well, Star-Crossed, $35, available at S’well.
The Whimsical Scholar
Bring out your inner magical fairy with all things sparkly and sweet, from iridescent backpacks to dessert-inspired school supplies. A little bit of rainbow scotch tape never hurt anyone, right? And whatever you do, don’t forget to highlight your cheeks in the prettiest, otherworldly shades via Anastasia Beverly Hill's new highlighter palette.
1. Ban.do, Glitter Bomb iPhone Case, $28, available at Ban.do; 2. Skinnydip, Exclusive Holographic Faux Snake Backpack, $52, available at ASOS; 3. Anastasia Beverly Hills, Moonchild Glow Kit, $40, available at Anastasia Beverly Hills; 4. KaiserColour, Glitter Gel Pens, $12.64, available at Walmart; 5. Ankit, Silver Hologram Portable Charger/Power Bank, $19.99, available at Ankit; 6. Swoozies, Unicorn Tape Dispenser, $14.95, available at Swoozies; 7. Kikkerland, Memo Pad Cupcake, $4, available at Kikkerland; 8. You Are You Co, Macaron Erasers Set Of Five, $5, available at Etsy.
If your vibe is more of a rule-breaker, why not show it with your school supplies? Mix and match wild textures from studs and spikes to leopard prints, and don’t forget to perfect that messy IDGAF hair. There’s nothing wrong with a little rebelliousness (as long as it doesn’t land you in detention).
1. S’well. Khaki Cheetah Water Bottle, $35, available at S’well; 2. Mighty Paper Shop, Glitter Pencil, $2.86, available at Etsy; 3. Valfre, Grrrl Pwr Journal, $18, available at Valfre 4. MICHAEL Michael Kors, Small Rhea Zip Studded Backpack, $358, available at Bloomingdales; 5. IGK, Down & Out Dirty Spray, $29, available at Sephora; 6. Caseify, Eff Off iPhone Case, $40, available at Dolls Kill; 7. Poppy Lissiman, Navy Blue Pom Pom Keychain, $14, available at NYLONshop; 8. LA Style Rush, Spiked Stereo Headphones, $24, available at LA Style Rush.