After years of swearing off dressing up with your significant other, for one reason or another, you've changed your mind and decided to show up in a couples costume this Halloween. Or is that just me?
Either way, with less than two weeks to spare, you've committed to a joint look and are now faced with the big decision of who you are going to embody amidst a sea of tacky and just plain bad costumes—pizza and takeout guy (?), candy bars (??), and a plug outlet (???)—that are thrown your way as legitimate suggestions.
To avoid coming off as cheesy, we've compiled a list of our favorite couples costumes to don this year. Ahead, eight twosomes, one threesome, and one major fivesome whose looks you won't be embarrassed to be spotted in this Halloween—plus where to shop them.
Bonnie and Nathan (as Audrey Hepburn and Elvis Presley) from Big Little Lies
Being that this show was one of the most watched of the year, don't be surprised to find real-life couples dressed up as the Big Little Lies couples dressed up as Audrey Hepburn and Elvis Presley. (So meta!) We are personally fans of Bonnie channeling My Fair Lady's Eliza Doolittle and Nathan dressed as a “Jailhouse Rock” Presley. You might want to start practicing your singing now.
1. H&M, denim jacket, $59.99, available at H&M.
2. Uniqlo, washed striped crew-neck T-shirt, $14.90, available at Uniqlo.
3. Twin-Set Simona Barbieri, short dress, $179, available at Yoox.
4. Charming Charlie, ornamental statement necklace, $24, available at Charming Charlie.
Rihanna and DJ Khaled from "Wild Thoughts"
An explosion of color and movement, "Wild Thoughts" video saw Rihanna rocking a sick pair of bright green printed Balenciaga pants and DJ Khaled in a smooth floral bomber. Don't blame us when you can't get the song out of your head days after the party.
1. Topshop, lace Bardot crop top, $30, available at Topshop.
2. Zara, floral print trousers, $49.90, available at Zara.
3. Adidas by Jeremy Scott, floral bomber jacket, $179.97, available at Amazon.
4. Diff Eyewear, Cruz sunglasses, $85, available at Diff.
Mia and Sebastian from La La Land
This musical duo stole the hearts of audiences late last year, and will probably be one of the most common couples costumes this Halloween. Not least because it requires minimal dressing up and items that may already be stashed in your closet.
1. Faithfull, Blohm midi sleeveless dress, $180, available at Moda Operandi.
2. B.A.I.T. Footwear, Nostalgic Sass Oxford heel, $69.99, available at ModCloth.
3. Suitsupply, navy washed chino, $149, available at Suitsupply.
4. Johnston & Murphy, Conard wingtip, $99.99, available at Johnston & Murphy.
Karl Lagerfeld and Chupette
Name a more iconic fashion duo, we'll wait. I don't know about you, but I would dress up as the iconic designer every day if it didn't require me to wear sunglasses indoors. To personify Lagerfeld's Instagram-famous fluffy ball of a cat, you will just need an all-white ensemble and cat ears, or just this. Props if you have that Chanel purse to go with the look. Double props if you purchase one just for this look.
1. Fleur du Mal, collared bodysuit with dotted tulle, $325, available at Fleur du Mal.
2. STATE Optical Co., Grand sunglasses, $417, available at STATE.
3. Zara, tuxedo trousers, $49.90, available at Zara.
4. & Other Stories, fingerless leather gloves, $55, available at & Other Stories.
June and Moira from The Handmaid's Tale
This powerful duo was a shining beacon of hope on television screens this year—one which saw a real-life administration hell-bent on taking away women's rights and controlling their bodies. While we wish it was under better circumstances that one dressed up as Handmaids, it's a powerful look and one packed with political significance and solidarity.
1. Gravel & Gold, boobs shopping tote, $75, available at Otherwild.
2. H&M, dress, $69.99, available at H&M.
3. Red Valentino, twill cape, $380.20, available at The Outnet.
4. Vionic, Logan bootie, $159.95, available at Vionic.
"Old" and "New" Taylor from "Look What You Made Me Do"
Taylor Swift set the world on fire when she released "Look What You Made Me Do," a song in which she stated that the "old Taylor" is "dead," and a few days later, the video, which saw the "old Taylor" literally emerge out of her grave as a zombie. For the zombie look, just grab the cheapest baby blue dress you can find and dirty it up—maybe while thinking about all the things Swift has ruined for you. For the "new Taylor," there are several looks to pick from; we're fans of this glorious Gucci lion-emblazoned sweatshirt and Christian Louboutin thigh-high boots. This doesn't mean we like you, Swift.
1. Boohoo, Kady wrap top bardot maxi dress, $18, available at Boohoo.
2. Aldo, Sailors, $130, available at Aldo.
3. Kenzo, tiger sweatshirt, $395, available at Farfetch.
The whole world let out a collective gasp when the most iconic models of the '90s—Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Claudia Schiffer, Carla Bruni, and Helena Christensen—reunited and made their way down Versace’s Spring 2018 runway, in show-stopping gold slip dresses no less. Like these ageless icons, the perfect gold dress will never go out of style, so consider in investing one you'll wear again.
1. Wilfred, Broue dress, $80, available at Aritzia.
2. Katy Perry Footwear, The Alexann sandals, $119, available at Katy Perry Collections.
3. Halston Heritage, metallic stretch-jersey dress, $325, available at Net-A-Porter.
4. Rachel Zoe, Marlene cold-shoulder gold metallic jacquard dress, $595, available at Lyst.
Dolores and (young) William from Westworld
Sure, this is not an ideal couple. Mostly because William is the toxic embodiment of an abusive man in power whose fragile ego has been shattered and Dolores is a man-created host whose memories get erased as she endures lifetime after lifetime of abuse and trauma. But they are also fun to dress up as, given that Western is back in style and all.
1. Stetson, Kingsman leather-trimmed felt hat, $250, available at Mr Porter.
2. Dickies, vest, $54, available at Yoox.
3. Are Studio, dust disc pouch, $168, available at Bona Drag.
4. Front Row Shop, Knit dress, $127, available at Front Row Shop.
Dancing Girls/Boys emojis
Is there a more perfect emoji to use to signify a good time? No, there's not, which is why we use it all the time and why it makes perfect sense that we would want to personify the bunny ear-donning duos. Not to mention how easy it's to find black bodysuits or rompers and a headband with ears, even when it's, like, the day before Halloween. Whoops.
1. Missguided, lace bunny ear headband, $10, available at Missguided.
2. M.Gemi, The Lieto, $328, available at M.Gemi.
3. Commando, luxe satin bodysuit, $98, available at Commando.
4. Adidas, three-stripe wrestling singlet, $58.99, available at Dick's Sporting Goods.
Beyoncé and Rumi + Sir
We'll be first to admit that this is not a traditional "couples" costume, unless you happen to have an actual set of twins or someone who wants to dress up as a pair of newborns (which is, like, weird), but this photo was the highlight of our year, in which there were few highlights, which is why we're including it anyway. Plus, couples costumes are sometimes cheesy no matter how hard you try and you're your own's best partner anyway, so why not show up dressed up like the queen that you are, alone or otherwise?
1. River Island, purple bird print kimono sleeve robe, $70, available at River Island.
2. Marlies Dekkers, Space Odyssey Brazilian shorts, $79, available at Marlies Dekkers.
3. Marlies Dekkers, Space Odyssey balcony bra, $145, available at Marlies Dekkers.