10 Things You Can Do To Fight Climate Change Right Now
Trump doesn’t care, but you should
In the immediate aftermath of the recent election, it’s easy to lose track of all of the things that President-Elect Donald Trump has vowed to change when he enters office in January. Amidst several frightening upheavals (hello looser gun restrictions! goodbye Affordable Healthcare Act!), one of the most pressing (but least talked about) is climate change. In the months leading up to the election, climate change was a concern among voters, but not necessarily a hot topic of discussion for the candidates. Case and point: The topic was severely overlooked during all three presidential debates, brought up only by Hillary Clinton.
Trump, of course, has in the past called climate change a hoax and has not only expressed the desire to stop the United States’s involvement in the Paris Agreement, which currently involves 190 other countries and works toward lowering greenhouse gas emissions, but also wants to eliminate President Obama’s Clean Power Plan, which details regulations for domestic climate change.
While it’s true that Trump will have the power to make these decisions, he cannot prevent us as individuals taking accountability for our day-to-day actions. Here are 10 things you can do right now to decrease your part in climate change.
- Keep a ceramic mug and refillable water bottle at your desk to avoid using paper or plastic cups.
- Bring reusable bags to the store when you go grocery shopping.
- Walk, bike, carpool, or take public transportation to/from work.
- Unplug your cell phone and laptop chargers when not in use.
- Recycle your plastic bags (and everything else!).
- Purchase food from a farmer’s market or eat at restaurants that serve locally grown food.
- Resist the urge to give in to fast fashion shopping (the products typically have a shorter lifespan) and donate clothing to consignment shops rather than throwing it away.
- Turn off the water while you’re brushing your teeth.
- Choose e-tickets over paper when you have the option for concerts, flights, events, etc.
- Donate to the Wildlife Conservation Society, Greenpeace, the Human Society or other environmental non-profits.