the best hair and makeup looks from the met gala
why have one beauty queen when you can have five?!
all photos by getty images
From Georgia May Jagger's truly flawless Veronica Lake-inspired waves to Lupita Nyong'o's shimmering makeup, we think we found all the spring beauty inspiration we'll ever need. Thankfully the stars' stylists told us how they made makeup magic--all you have to do is click through the slideshow to find out how to do it yourself.
- GET EMMA STONE'S BRAID:
1. Apply L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT High Lift Creation Spray ($4.99) onto the roots of damp hair for dramatic lift.2. Spray L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle TXT IT Tousle Waves Spray ($4.99) liberally all over the mid-length and ends, and rough-dried hair away from the face to build texture and volume, while still maintaining structure.3. Once hair is dry, gently tease the crown for more height and backcomb throughout to build a solid foundation.4. Start creating the wide, woven style from the left side, moving over to the right, making a side braid. Secure the end with a clear elastic, and allow pieces to fall out loosely around the face.5. Spray L’Oréal Paris Elnett Hairspray Extra Strong Hold Volume ($14.99) all over to lock in the style.
GET LUPITA NYONG'O'S MAKEUP:
1. After using moisturizer and primer, Lancome makeup artist Nick Barose used Lancome Teint Idole 24 Hour Foundation. He followed this with Lancome Dual Finish Powder and Foundation in One in shade #550.
2. For a healthy dose of color, blend Armani Maestro Blush in 300 and Armani Cheek Fabric in 509.
3. Oh the eyes, use Lancome Color Design Eyeshadow in Miss Sweetheart; add several coats of Lancome Hypnose Mascara, then follow with Lancome Le Crayon Poudre.
4. Line lips with Lancome Lip Colouring Stick in Sheer Chocolate, then swipe on Lancome L'Absolu Rouge Lipcolor in Bordeaux.
GET MARY-KATE OLSEN'S HAIR:
1. Stylist Mark Townsend mixed unrefined coconut oil with 20 drops of Dove Pure Care Dry Oil Treatment in a bowl and applied it to Mary-Kate's hair from root to tip.
2. After applying the treatment, Townsend took her nourished hair and pulled it into a low bun, securing with few bobby pins throughout the bun.
GET ASHLEY OLSEN'S HAIR:
1. Townsend added Dove Pure Care Dry Oil Treatment to hair and blow-dried with a round brush.
2. Next, Townsend gathered her hair into a low ponytail and secured with an elastic.
3. Finally, he sprayed Oribe Soft Lacquer hairspray on a reusable mascara wand and ran it through the hair on the hairline and above the ears . He topped it off with Sally Hershberger Salon Smooth Fix on her hair and through the ponytail.
GET KIRSTEN DUNST'S SMOKY MAKEUP
Makeup artist Jeanine Lobell used Nars products to compliment Dunst's Star Wars-themed Rodarte Gown; "Kirsten’s look featured elements of Star Wars and the idea of intergalactic travel with a twenties inspired hairstyle. The makeup tied all of these concepts together."
1. Lobell used Nars Sycorax Dual-Intensity Eyeshadow (out this summer) and Nars Eye Paint in Interstellar ($28) on Dunst's eyes.
2. For the lips, Lobell used Nars Satin Lip Pencil in Luxembourg ($25).
GET GEORGIA MAY JAGGER'S GLAM HAIR
Jagger's waves were styled by Peter Buter for Moroccanoil.
1. Apply Moroccanoil Volumizing Mousse to wet hair from root-to-tip to create volume at the crown and give strands extra body and bounce.
2. Blow dry hair smooth using Moroccanoil Boar Bristle Brush 35mm.
3. Starting with the top section of the head (full crown), use 1.5” barrel iron to curl hair in a backwards direction. When strands are still hot, pin the curls and allow to cool.
4. Next, take the hair on the sides of the head divide into two sections. Using a 1.5” barrel iron, curl each section towards the back of the head. When strands are still hot, pin curls and set to cool.
5. Divide rest of hair into 2" sections and using barrel iron to create soft, full, voluminous waves. Then brush this hair using the Moroccanoil Boar Bristle Paddle Brush. This will soften the waves into 40’s-style waves.
6. Remove pins from top sections of hair and lightly finger-brush through ends with Moroccanoil Treatment Light to control flyaways and add extra shine.
7. Spritz Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine for a red carpet-ready, ultra-shiny finish.