It’s getting warmer outside, and you know what that means: Prom season is approaching!
This will, without a doubt, be a night to remember. In fact, probably one of the most exciting—and well-documented—evenings of your entire high school career. You’ll want to look your best (to avoid any future cringing down the road), which means you definitely don’t want to wait until the last minute to pull it all together.
Not sure what you’re wearing yet? Don’t worry, we put together 10 no-fail (and definitely not typical) looks to wear to your party of the year. Whether you’re a classic gown kinda gal or looking to go the suit route, there’s a little something for everyone.
This way you can focus your time and energy on more important things, like planning the after-party.
The classic gown
The classic gown will always remain on trend for prom, but it calls for a modern twist. Pair an ethereal tulle frock or textured ruffles with quirky accessories (a birdcage clutch, anyone?) for a look that’s timeless, elegant, and, more importantly, unexpected.
1. Tate NY, Perle Earring, $75, available at Tate NY; 2. Sam Edelman, Patti Ankle Strap Sandal, $100, available at Sam Edelman; 3. H&M, Long Mesh Dress, $129, available at H&M; 4. Alice McCall, Best Of You Metallic Silk-Blend Jacquard Midi Dress, $520, available at Net-A-Porter; 5. ASOS, Birdcage Clutch Bag, $51, available at ASOS.
The mini dress
Stella McCartney, Saint Laurent, and Alexandre Vauthier all gave a nod to the classic ‘80s prom dress for their Spring 2018 collections, so why shouldn’t you, too? If you’re looking to raise the hemlines of your prom getup this year, opt for mini dresses with an ‘80s feel—ruffles, ruching, and one-shoulder situations galore—that are reminiscent of the era without, you know, screaming it.
1. Topshop, One Shoulder Textured Mini Dress, $100, available at Topshop; 2. ALDO, Ariani, $85, available at ALDO; 3. Rachel Zoe, Ivy One-Shoulder Ruffled Crepe Mini Dress, $345, available at Net-A-Porter; 4. Baublebar, Edeline Resin Hoop Earrings, $44, available at Baublebar; 5. The Common Knowledge, Mini Prism, $194, available at The Common Knowledge.
The minimalist dress
Minimalism is clearly having a moment right now, and you can easily incorporate this aesthetic into your prom look, too. Swap the frills and beading for a sleek silk slip or wrap dress and pair with cool, clean accessories for a look that's chic without overdoing it.
1. Pari Desai, Bordeux Sandoval Laced Slip, $265, available at Bona Drag; 2. WKNDLA, Lia Squiggle Earrings, $80, available at WKNDLA; 3. Mlouye, Mini Lantern Bag Pleated in Champagne, $460, available at Mlouye; 4. Zara, Sandals With Vinyl Strap Detail, $59.90, available at Zara; 5. & Other Stories, Wrap Dress, $95, available at & Other Stories.
Maybe you just don’t want to wear a dress at all. Opt for a jumpsuit in a bright, vibrant color with dressier details—such as fluttery shoulder or a wide leg—for a look that's still fancy, but refreshing, too. Pair with a couple of statement accessories, and you’re all set to have a magical night ahead of you.
1. Fame And Partners, The Ramsey Jumpsuit, $299, available at Fame And Partners; 2. One Story, Fringe Curve Duster, $68, available at One Story; 3. Rebecca Minkoff, Leo Clutch, $145, available at Rebecca Minkoff; 4. Topshop, Multi Strap Mules, $85, available at Topshop; 5. Mango, Ring Wrap Jumpsuit, $99.99, available at Mango.
Looking to wear pants to prom this year? Skip the tux and opt for a spring-y pantsuit in pastel or neutral shades, and allow your accessories to dress it up.
1. Zara, Satin Blazer, $129, available at Zara; Zara, Flowing Pleated Trousers, $69.90, available at Zara; 2. Alexis Bittar, Sculptural Metal Collar, $325, available at Alexis Bittar; 3. Diane von Furstenberg, Exotic Clutch, $268, available at Shopbop; 4. Frances Valentine. Beatrix Metallic Leather Sandals in Gold, $495, available at Frances Valentine; 5. Mango, Structured Linen Jacket, $129.99, available at Mango; Mango, Linen High-Waist Trousers, $99.99, available at Mango.