Some may complain that summer’s heat doesn’t allow for much creativity in the outfit department, and we must agree—it does put a damper on wearing our more styled looks. That’s why every summer, to make things easier, we decide on what our whole vibe is going to be for that three-month stretch, and channel it accordingly.
Why do we do this? For consistency, a more cohesive wardrobe, and because it makes life much more simple. (And believe us, it makes getting dressed in the morning much less daunting.) If you haven’t already decided what your look is this summer, now’s the time—we still have an entire month for you to free your inner Sand Witch or Nasty Woman.
So, what summer vibe are you? Are you aiming for Art Mom, or do you channel an even balance of Sporty Spice and Normcore? Keep scrolling to find out.
Photographer: Kristiina Wilson
Stylist: Shea Daspin
Shadow Model: Danielle Moalem
NormcoreYou have an affinity for anything basic and plain (and anything that looks like your dad would wear). Maybe you’ll jazz up a look with a quirky print or accessory from time to time, but for the most part, you keep it simple and low-key.
1. Abercrombie & Fitch, Burnout Boyfriend Tee, $18.00, available at Abercrombie & Fitch.2. American Apparel, Stripe Knee-High Sock, $10.00, available at American Apparel. 3. Topshop, MOTO High-Waisted Mom Shorts, $58, available at Topshop.4. Levi's Made & Crafted, Denim Shorts, $111.00, available at Yoox. 5. Teva, Zamora Platform Sandal, $135.00, available at Urban Outfitters. 6. Teva, Flatform Universal, $60, available at Teva.7. Monogram, Bullshit Tee, $65, available at Monogram Studio.8. Happy Socks, Play Sock, $8.40, available at Happy Socks.
Sand WitchWhile you may worship the moon more than you do the sun, what witch wouldn’t want to spend a day in the energy-cleansing ocean?
1. Alexander Wang, Black Leather Bloomer Shorts, $795.00, available at Ssense.2. Xhilaration™, Women's Lace Up Bralette Bikini Top, $14.99, available at Target. 3. The Common Knowledge, Circle Bag, $215, available at The Common Knowledge. 4. Valley, Depotism, $199.99, available at Valley. 5. Furla, Candy Jungle Backpack Toni Onyx, $398.00, available at Furla. 6. The Ones Who, Maren Top, $73.00, available at Need Supply Co.7. Krewe, STL II Sunglasses, $315.00, available at Krewe. 8. Alexander Wang, Studded Lou Suede Sandal, $450.00, available at Alexander Wang.9. Wilfred Free, Karmen Skirt, $85, available at Aritzia.
Sporty SpiceYou have an appreciation for athleisure but with a twist—a ‘90s twist. Bucket hats and mixed and matched prints are your go-tos, and you enjoy being a lot louder than your average sweatpant- and sport-bra loving friends.
1. Alexander Wang, Checkerboard Bra Top With Ball Chain Trim, $445.00, available at Alexander Wang.2. Hunter, Original Mini Top Clip Backpack in Rubberized Leather, $265, available at Hunter.3. Krewe, Gravier Matte Bengal Sunglasses, $275.00, available at Krewe.4. Topshop, Velour Joggers, $58, available at Topshop.5. Esprit by Opening Ceremony, Ditsy Floral Bucket Hat, $20, available at Opening Ceremony.6. Daniel Patrick, Roaming Cropped Jogger, Yellow, $190.00, available at Daniel Patrick.7. Married To The Mob, Orange Bucket Hat, $29.98, available at Zumiez.8. The Upside, Match Point Ballet Printed Stretch Sports Bra, $79, available at The Upside.9. KENDALL + KYLIE, Sloane Mini Snake Backpack, $295.00, available at Zappos.
Art MomNo, you don’t need to be an actual mom to be an Art Mom. Art Mom loves color, idolizes Iris Apfel, and boasts quite the collection of Marimekko.
1. Dusen Dusen, Duo Weave Long Yes Dress, $158.40, available at Bona Drag.2. Marimekko, Unikko Black Silja Shopper Bag, $135.00, available at FinnStyle. 3. Koza, Women's Blue K Kaftan, from $395.00, available at Lyst. 4. Alexis Bittar, Beaded Bib Necklace, $1,795.00, available at Alexis Bittar.5. Banago, Olivia Tote, $100.00, available at Revolve.6. Lizzie Fortunato, Pamplona Necklace, $530.00, available at Lizzie Fortunato.7. Alexis Bittar, Liquid Metal Dome Bangle, $195.00, available at Alexis Bittar. 8. Absurda, Santarita Eyeglasses, $115, available at Absurda.
Festival QueenYou are literally the queen of festivals, finding that you're always "with the band." From Lollapalooza to Panorama, you plan to hit them all—and in style. One-piece that doubles as a bodysuit? Check. Boho jewelry? Check.
1. Zara, Ripped Denim Shorts, $29.90, available at Zara.2. H&M, Swimsuit, $34.99, available at H&M.3. Ashley Pittman, Winda Bangle Light Horn, $1,125.00, available at Ashley Pittman.4. Hipanema, Jaya Twin Bracelet, $56, available at Revolve.5. Ashley Pittman, Vuka Earring Light Horn, $495.00, available at Ashley Pittman. 6. H&M, Hairband with Flowers, $4.99, available at H&M.7. Rebecca Minkoff, Rose Saddle, $218, available at Rebecca Minkoff.8. Krewe, Louisa Interstellar 24k Sunglasses, $235.00, available at Krewe.9. Daniel Patrick, High Rise Denim Short, Blue Wash, $140.00, available at Daniel Patrick. 10. Mikoh, Africa One Piece, $218, available at Mikoh.11. Ashley Pittman, Bendi Cuff Light Horn With Turquoise, $1,195.00, available at Ashley Pittman. 12. Hobo, Star Crossbody Handbag, $120.60, available at Hobo.
Nasty WomanYou’re feminist AF and want the world to know it. Any piece of clothing that can help get your message across, you’re all for.
1. H&M, Denim Shorts, $39.99, available at H&M.2. Le Specs, The Fugitive, $119, available at Le Specs.3. Krewe, Iris White Linene 24k Sunglasses, $315.00m available at Krewe.4. Stella Rose, No Thank You Enamel Pin, $12, available at Stella Rose.5. Wildfang, Wild Feminist Tee, $40, available at Wildfang.6. The Tata Top, $28.00, available at TheTataTop.com.7. Schutz, Elke Slides, $150.00, available at Shop Bop.8. H&M, Satin Shorts, $9.99, available at H&M.
Beach Bum AFSummertime only means one thing to you: snoozing on the beach. Whether you spend the entirety of the season or just your weekends being lazy seaside, you live to live in your favorite bikini, giant sun hat, and giant sunglasses (which stay permanently glued to your face, so no one knows your eyes are actually closed).
1. & Other Stories, Polka Dot Halterneck Bra, $39, available at & Other Stories; & Other Stories, Polka Dot Briefs, $25, available at & Other Stories.2. Eugenia Kim, Sunny “Do Not Disturb” Hat, $485.00, available Eugenia Kim. 3. Crap Eyewear, The Salomi Tropic, $58, available at Crap Eyewear.4. Krewe, Octavia Magnolia Rose Gold Sunglasses, $335.00, available at Krewe.5. Kayu, St Tropez, $125, available at Kayu.6. Hat Attack, Bon Voyage Hat, $96, available at Revolve.7. Solid & Striped, The Jane Top, Southhampton Stripe, $88.00, available at Solid & Striped.